Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A little story for Thanksgiving...

Some of you may have seen/heard this one before, my daughter brought it home with her from Kindergarten and I remeber seeing it when K was in Kindergarten too. I just really like it and wanted to share for the holiday.

The Legend of the Five Kernels

The first winter the Pilgrims spent in their new home was very cold. Food was in short supply. Some days the food was so scarce that each person would only get five kernels of corn for the entire day. Spring finally came, they planted food and it grew. The Pilgrims survived this harsh winter and were very grateful. From then on, when a time of Thanksgiving came around, the Pilgrims put five kernels of corn on each plate to remind themselves of their blessings.

The first kernel reminds us of the autumn beauty all around us.
The second kernel reminds us of our love for each other.
The third kernel reminds us of how we are loved and cared for.
The fourth kernel reminds us of our friends.
The fifth kernel reminds us that we are a free people.

So as you join with your family and friends for this Thanksgiving holiday think of the five kernels and five things you are thankful for this year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

ChristyR said...

okay wow! Great story that I'm going to share when we gather tomorrow! Umm...I saw you offer some venison up...could I buy some from you? Shane absolutely loves it but he's just not a hunter and he mentioned going to a local butcher and then I told him about the deer your hubby got and he was drooling after I showed him the photos on your blog...think it's doable? Have a great Thanksgiving!

itsjustshannon said...

Thats a really nice story! Will have to copy that and save that.

Cicada said...

Yeah, I'd like to buy some too, Nicole! I've made chili with venison before, but that's about it. So you might have to give me some recipes to go with it!